Pages

Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Another Update on Mya's Adoption

Through some research on the internet, it appeared that we could get an apostille from the Department of Foreign Affairs in Pretoria. This is about an hour drive from here, so I phoned them yesterday morning to confirm that they could do this for us, and they said to go to ANY home affairs office and have it done.
Well, I had some paperwork that I needed to turn it at the local home affairs office which is about 10 minutes away, so I thought I'd kill two birds with one stone and off I went with Mya (Brad took the bigger kids) and headed to home affairs.
I stood in line for an hour and a half to turn in the papers for Mya's unabridged birth certificate and wait for them to be faxed to Pretoria (for the 3rd time) and then I asked about the apostille, and was told that they don't do that. Crazy!
The magistrates' office is just down the road from home affairs so I popped in and spoke to the clerk, and she said she would talk to the magistrate to see specifically what he wanted and where to go for it. She kept our original marriage certificate, passports and pay stub to show him. I think it is possible that with the original documents he may be able to do the apostille himself! We'll see....

No comments:

Post a Comment